The RET program at CBBG allows local, STEM-focused K-12 teachers and community college faculty to participate in cutting-edge laboratory research and use our test bed facilities. In addition, teachers engage in curriculum development to develop a grade-level appropriate lesson plan based on their project research to be implemented in their classrooms.
2019 RET Project Descriptions [coming soon!]
The Center for Bio-mediated & Bio-inspired Geotechnics (CBBG) is a National Science Foundation (NSF) – funded Engineering Research Center (ERC) whose headquarters are located on the Tempe campus of Arizona State University. The goal of the CBBG is to develop sustainable biologically-controlled and -inspired solutions in the areas of:
- Hazard mitigation
- Environmental protection and restoration
- Infrastructure construction
- Resource development
We are seeking K-12 and community college teachers that are interested in engaging with the Center in these objectives through a financially supported summer Research Experience for Teachers (RET) program in the CBBG laboratories at the ASU campus. Teachers will have the opportunity to directly participate in research as well as develop a related lesson plan that they will take back and incorporate into their own classroom in the coming academic year.
The CBBG 2019 RET Summer Program will run for 5 weeks from the end of May, 2019 until the end of June, 2019.
- $5000 stipend
- Additional support (up to $1000) for classroom supplies, upon completed implementation report
- Curriculum development support during the summer
- Closing reception
- Support for lesson plan implementation during the school year
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- K- 12 STEM teacher or community college STEM faculty
- Ability to work 40 hours per week for entire 5-week program
- Teachers (or those serving students) with disabilities, veterans, and those from diverse groups traditionally underrepresented in STEM programs are encouraged to apply
How to Apply
Complete the online application form: [available in January]
- NOTE: Your application will only be saved in your browser for 24 hours, so consider copy/pasting answers to a separate document before leaving the form.
As part of the application process, be prepared to upload the following in PDF format:
- A brief resume/CV
- A professional letter of recommendation(department chair, principal, colleague, etc.)
Applications due: March 1, 2019
Dr. Jean Larson, CBBG Education Director | firstname.lastname@example.org | (480) 965-7804