The REU program at CBBG allows students from across the nation to visit, learn, and experience world-class bio-geotechnical engineering. Each student is given the opportunity to work closely with the Center faculty and other Center researchers. Students are granted stipends and assistance with housing and travel.
The Center for Bio-mediated & Bio-inspired Geotechnics (CBBG) is a National Science Foundation (NSF) – funded Engineering Research Center (ERC) that is comprised of four universities (ASU, GT, NMSU, UCD). The goal of the CBBG is to develop sustainable biologically-controlled and -inspired solutions in the areas of:
- Hazard mitigation
- Environmental protection and restoration
- Infrastructure construction
- Subsurface exploration and excavation
We are seeking innovative, sustainability-minded, engineering and science undergraduate students in the disciplines of microbiology, biology, geochemistry, geology, civil engineering, plant science, soil science, geoenvironmental, engineering education, or related areas, to participate in this paid 8-week summer program. This Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) program will immerse REU participants in technical research and expose them to the graduate school experience as a whole, and specifically within the scope of the CBBG. A broad scope of projects is available, and effort will be made to match student interests with the different projects. We invite undergraduate students to apply.
- 8 weeks
- ASU/NMSU/Georgia Tech/UC Davis: May 31 to July 22, 2022
- Stipend ($500/week)
- Travel/lodging for any in-person experiences (preference will be given to local participants)
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Must be planning to enroll and be a Sophomore, Junior, or Senior college-level student in Fall 2022
- Attend U.S. community college, college, or non-CBBG university
- Ability to work 40 hours per week for the entire program
- Students with disabilities, veterans, and those from traditionally underrepresented groups in STEM are encouraged to apply
How to Apply
Use the common application. (NOW CLOSED)
The application will require:
1. General REU application (can be used for multiple REU sites);
2. CBBG-specific REU questions;
3. Unofficial transcript(s) from all undergraduate institutions attended; and
4. Contact information for one reference.
Note: new users will need to create an account.
Please direct any questions related to the application to the NSF ETAP helpdesk: (800) 232-8024 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application deadline: March 18, 2022 (now closed)
Dr. Jean Larson, CBBG Education Director | email@example.com | (480) 965-7804